Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Revisiting Final Fantasy Adventure



Since getting into Let's Play videos on Youtube, I have been inspired to revisit old games that I have not finished due to emulator problems or my own incompetence. This week, I got me a copy of Final Fantasy Adventure for the original Gameboy. This game is also called Seiken Densetsu or Secret of Mana or Mystic Quest--whatever! The game is awesome, that's all you need to know. It is a hundred times better than the GBA remake.

I currently played until the airship scenario where I encounter Julius for the fourth (?) time in the game. When you play this game, it is not a spoiler to say that you will hate Julius at this point of the game. I honestly don't know what will happen next since this is as far as I got during my previous playthrough.

It is really a cool action/RPG which is relatively easier compared to Crystalis or Battle of Olympus. It is much more forgiving and you level up quite often. In my experience, your character does not really run out of healing items and curative spells. In addition, your HP/MP will replenish every time you level up.

The only downside I see with this underrated, hidden gem is THAT puzzle. The puzzle I'm talking about will infuriate even the patient gamer. Unless you look at a FAQ you will never figure out that damn puzzle. A lot of people claim that they figured out the puzzle after hours of poking around, but I do not have that patience. I just looked at the FAQ and everything went smoothly from there.

If you own a Wiz, Dingoo, or a Gameboy, this game is a must play. Don't bother with the GBA remake unless you are that much of a graphics whore.  

I will update this post with a few more details after I finish the game. Or maybe I'll just make another blog post about how awesome this game is again.
Google Analytics Alternative