Sunday, July 24, 2005

Trying out Linux

I recently had the time to try Linux. The distro I'm using is called Damn Small Linux (DSL). Since I'm on dial-up, DSL is the only live cd distro that I can download. Initially I wanted to try out Knoppix, but it's 700mb. DSL is just about 48-49mb, just burn the image on a CD and you're good to go.

I must say Linux is fun to tinker with but the only problem is that I have no background in Linux or the Linux file system. Without all the basic knowledge, problems like accessing my hard drive became a chore. Also, I wasn't able to surf the internet because: (A) I can't seem to figure out how to setup PPPdial..Or (B) It could be because my modem is a Winmodem.

Even with all of these quirks, DSL loaded on my PC without any hitch. In fact, I was able to make RTF files using the bundled wordprocessor. The distro also has a spreadsheet, Mozilla Firefox, and a host of other useful stuff. All these are packed into a 50mb business card style CD.

I'm not gonna totally abandon my XP machine for Linux...Yet, but I'm surely gonna scour the net for a more user-friendly distro.
Google Analytics Alternative