Thursday, July 21, 2005

Creative Commons useless?

If you notice a small picture below the footer of this blog, you will see a Creative Commons (CC) copyright statement. This CC is used as copyright protection for the content in this site. But according to John C. Dvorak, tech journalist and a former show host on the old ZDTV, this CC fad does nothing but complicate the whole "Fair Use" law. He stated:


Will someone explain to me the benefits of a trendy system developed by Professor Lawrence Lessig of Stanford? Dubbed Creative Commons, this system is some sort of secondary copyright license that, as far as I can tell, does absolutely nothing but threaten the already tenuous "fair use" provisos of existing copyright law. This is one of the dumbest initiatives ever put forth by the tech community. I mean seriously dumb. Eye-rolling dumb on the same scale as believing the Emperor is wearing fabulous new clothes.



It doesn't matter to me if Dvorak is right or wrong because I believe (I'm not sure) that in the Philippines there's no fair use law. I wonder how CC really affects people outside of America.

Update: Here's another article made by Ben Adida that answers Dvorak's article point for point. He basically explained that CC does not render fair use useless.
Google Analytics Alternative