Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Castlevania II - Simon's Quest, Windows Remake

I suck at twitch games. That's just the way it is. But I still play games like Castlevania, which is not so much twitch as it is RPG-ish. Castlevania II - Simon's Quest was a new breed of NES game.

It is completely innovative to the point of experimental, really.

It's non-linear, much more so than the NES Metroid. It was, I think, the first attempt at a Symphony of the Night type of gameplay on the NES. This is also the reason why Simon's Quest was criticized. It was just not Castlevania, except for the main character.

I like Simon's Quest, even with all the glitches. I wasn't able to finish it then, that's why I searched around to find a remake of it.


Dracula's Shadow is a freeware, Simon's Quest remake. It makes use of the original NES tileset, but the coder added some other fun stuff, minus the bugs of the original version.

The truth is, I only glanced at the screenshot and decided to post it here for my own reference. I have yet to make the game run on my PC.

Hope I can make this play on my PC next time, maybe.
Google Analytics Alternative