Monday, July 31, 2006

Reading for pleasure

When I was younger, my mother had to kick my butt to read anything. I hated her for forcing me to read novels during the summer, and if I didn't then she would suspend my privieges.

Today, I have to thank her for introducing me to the wonderful world of reading for pleasure. But it has been years since I've read for pleasure. Since I graduated from college, all I did was read for function and nothing else. In fact the last book I read for pleasure was the 3rd Harry Potter book, and everything else that I've read were textbooks for grammar and self-improvement.

So from this day on, I promise to read again for pleasure. And as a reminder, I'm going to put here my to-read list:
  1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - I've been putting off book 1 for years.
  2. The Colour of Magic - A discworld comedy.
  3. Neuromancer - Cyberpunk goodness from William Gibson.
  4. Beyond good and evil - I've read this years ago and I want to read it again just for kicks.
  5. The Alchemist - Nydia thought it was a good read so I'll give it a try.

That's some of it for now, though let me share a little technique that I use to make sure you finish what you're reading: Read the first five chapters of the book in one sitting, this will make sure you gain the momentum early to finish the book.

Google Analytics Alternative